Wrapped a few pieces with fabric - Page 3 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Wrapped a few pieces with fabric and painted a couple parts
Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:37 AM
D.Simoes wrote:On the plus side it looks like you got $3200 for damage could easily be repaired with a couple hundred (aslong as you can find those parts in blue)...

Finding the parts in blue isnt a big deal as i do bodywork and painting myself, so i only pay materials.

here's my cost list so far for mostly used parts:

$60 - Door w/mirror (Used)
$100 - Headlight (New)
$30 - Fender (Used)
$150 - OEM Bumper w/grill & w/foam core. (Used)
$0 - Z24 Rim (I have spares)
$200 - Hood (New CAPA)
$20 - Sideskirt (DIY)
$40 - Qt. Epoxy Primer w/activator
$130 - Pint of WA815K Arrival Blue base
$20 - Reducer
$75 - Qt. of clear w/activator
$90 - Wheel alignment
$100 - Re-Tint whole drivers side %15
$40 - Mount and balance wheel

~$825 +

If i look into buying new parts, it puts me around $1500-$2000 just for parts. - at this point its not worth it.

Not to mention i need to do another safety to my car which will invlove a new windshield, blower resistor, washer pump, and neon ebrake cables + brake hardware for the disc swap and front stab links.

$200 windshield (installed professionally)
$40 blower res. (only works on med & hi)
$60 universal washer pump kit w/res.
$60 neon cables
$15 brake hardware
$30 park brake shoe
$20 Stab. links

~$425

So minimum it's going to cost is $1,250 + My labor + Cost of buying car back (between $500 - $1000 i would imagine).

Think it's still worth it?

Keep in mind im buying an 99 Impreza RS 2dr 5spd which has a blown motor (yes its subaru blue with gold wheels). I contacted a JDM engine distributor in quebec which has the STI drivedrtain swap which includes motor, transmission w/front diff, rear diff, axles, driveshaft, ecu and wiring for $2100 + $150 Shipping. This 2.0l motor makes 280hp at the crank stock and comes with forged internals.. Yee haw..

Cars owned:

89 240sx KA24E
83 280zx Turbo L28ET
92 240sx KA24DE
98 Cavalier Z24 LD9
04 Cavalier L61
00 Impreza RS EJ25

I'm really looking forward to learning how to drive an AWD car at it's full potential - which means i might dump the cavalier project all together. I should know by next week, any thoughts?

Re: Wrapped a few pieces with fabric and painted a couple parts
Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:23 AM
I've seen a lot of Cavys repaired for less and most of them have been DIY with good results. Most would go to their local "pick n pull" and could find the parts easily and just a bit of paint can make it look new.

Now on the note of an AWD setup, you do realize that if something goes wrong with the drivetrain that it will cost more to repair. I have seen people in the past do AWD swaps on classic camrys (87-91 model year) and realized those did have some good output, but did cost a bit to do the swap. If you want to know, I'd keep the cavy as a backup just in case you are working on the other one.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search