Gauge Cluster Problems - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gauge Cluster Problems
Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:34 PM
My gauge cluster lighting and odometer is shot. I looked into getting a new cluster but can find one easily with my mileage cause its stored in the cluster. Can I just make my own fiberglass gauge cluster using aftermarket gauges? I dont have a speedometer cable so how should I do that?

Re: Gauge Cluster Problems
Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:57 PM
If you have a 3rd Gen J, any other 3rd Gen cluster will swap right in. Mileage is not stored in the cluster.
Friday, November 26, 2010 4:15 AM
RoboticPotPie wrote:If you have a 3rd Gen J, any other 3rd Gen cluster will swap right in. Mileage is not stored in the cluster.
\

wrong.... only 00-05

Friday, November 26, 2010 6:14 AM
Jack Fleming wrote:My gauge cluster lighting and odometer is shot. I looked into getting a new cluster but can find one easily with my mileage cause its stored in the cluster. Can I just make my own fiberglass gauge cluster using aftermarket gauges? I dont have a speedometer cable so how should I do that?

what year is your car? and does it have a mechanical or digital odometer? if it's mechanical, it takes like 5 minutes to swap out the mileage tumbler.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, November 26, 2010 11:04 AM
Its a 2000 and it has digital odometer. So can I just get one out of another sunfire the same year? Also is the mileage stored in the gauge cluster, thats what I read on here earlier?
Friday, November 26, 2010 12:07 PM
Gary Frank wrote:
RoboticPotPie wrote:If you have a 3rd Gen J, any other 3rd Gen cluster will swap right in. Mileage is not stored in the cluster.
\

wrong.... only 00-05

Of course, duh. that's what I meant.
Friday, November 26, 2010 2:45 PM
Jack Fleming wrote:Its a 2000 and it has digital odometer. So can I just get one out of another sunfire the same year? Also is the mileage stored in the gauge cluster, thats what I read on here earlier?

The Mileage is stored on ur pcm, so you can swap out another cluster. But be careful, 00+ Js are prone to that issue. I have the same issue with my vert. But I just push it in a certain spot and it comes up no problems. Really doesnt bother me much. Either way, its just pull out and plug back in. BUT I have heard about you needing the re-learn ur anti-theft system. I could be wrong, so if someone has any more infor on that, please post up, but that is what I have heard. Goodluck!

Friday, November 26, 2010 4:03 PM
No, the mileage on a 2000-05 J-body car is stored in the BCM. No Passlock re-learn necessary.

Now 95-99.. that's a different story.

Monday, December 20, 2010 4:20 PM
^^^x2.

"A goal without a plan is just a wish"
Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:20 PM
i have a 2003 cavalier and got a 2002 sunfire cluster put it in the cavalier turned it on and it was reading a different mileage i have 186 000 kms on my cavalier and after i did the sunfire cluster swap it came up as me having a 159 000 kms , so i am not sure what i am doing wrong but my mileage changed so it must be stored in the cluster , and also only half of the cluster would light up , so i do not know whats going on can someone please help me and tell me what i am doing wrong , cause i heard it was plug and play for 00-05 but not in my case
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search