Removing the dash in an 05 sunfire - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Removing the dash in an 05 sunfire
Monday, October 25, 2010 12:48 PM
How dangerous would it be to remove the cash (instrument cluster and all) in an 05 sunfire.

My buddy says airbags like to go off via static electricity and it can be pretty dangerous.

Im asking because I think I have a bad ground in the dash, as my temp gauge spun the whole way around and caused the RPM gauge to get pushed up a bit, now both gauges are messed up. Also a light burned out and the light behind the fuel gauge doesnt turn on unless you smack the dash on the drivers side.

I dont really have the cash to have a shop do this, they would probably charge like 300-400 bucks. I dunno.

Ive removed an older sunfire dash in highschool but the air bags were gone.

Re: Removing the dash in an 05 sunfire
Monday, October 25, 2010 1:36 PM
Disconnect the battery first and you should be fine.

I've never heard of anyone setting the air bags off from removing the dash.

Just take your time and be careful when removing the dash as to not puncture the airbag cover.

Sounds like your cluster is screwed, try and find one at a junk yard. They are known to mess up like that.

Monday, October 25, 2010 1:50 PM
oh, you cant remove em and wind back the needles? lol

damn, is there an aftermarket cluster you can get that wont mess up?
Monday, October 25, 2010 2:19 PM
Not without making your own out of aftermarket gauges, and making your own dash.

When you replace the dash cluster you will be replacing the bulbs as well I believe, so your fuel light bulb should be lit again, unless the connection is loose, be able to tell when you take it apart.

Monday, October 25, 2010 2:51 PM
just grab a new cluster, that will solve your problem most likely. the problem with pulling the needles off the pins is it will pull the pins out of place and then the tiny gears wont mesh, same for pushing the needles back on. the only way ive found is to get past this problem is to make a jig with 4 straight nosed clamping hemostats, by using the hemostats to grab the pins thus rendering them immobile so they cant move when the needle is pulled off or pushed on.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:11 AM
Sunfiretun3r wrote:Not without making your own out of aftermarket gauges, and making your own dash.

Not true. BlackCatCustoms sells revamped factory clusters with your choice of gauge faces/lighting/etc... Very nice work.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:24 AM
Tinkles wrote:
Sunfiretun3r wrote:Not without making your own out of aftermarket gauges, and making your own dash.

Not true. BlackCatCustoms sells revamped factory clusters with your choice of gauge faces/lighting/etc... Very nice work.

They have gauge faces and lighting but not clusters. I need a rebuilt cluster. Or someone who can rebuild it for below 200 bucks.

Anyone have a price on motors and @!#$ or is like 235 bucks the going rate?
Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:52 AM
I bought a cluster at a junk yard for like $150 bucks.

Unplug the old one, plug in the new one....finished.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 2:02 PM
Nick Balak wrote:
Tinkles wrote:

They have gauge faces and lighting but not clusters. I need a rebuilt cluster. Or someone who can rebuild it for below 200 bucks.

Anyone have a price on motors and @!#$ or is like 235 bucks the going rate?

Black Cat has clusters if you get the 140 MPH conversion. Price is $329 includes LED upgrade and some custom stuff CLICKY HERE... Its the first cluster These WILL fit your '05 Sunfire with out any mods.

Otherwise - go get a cluster at a junkyard. I wouldn't bother getting one rebuilt its not worth it.

As far as airbags going off from removing a dash - I have never seen it and I work in a shop that installs car audio and the like... we take dash panels off quite often on the newer cars. Just disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes.

----

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search