Easy auto short shifter - Page 4 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Easy auto short shifter
Saturday, November 13, 2010 9:51 AM
I thought about lowering my auto shifter a little bit for looks purposes only. But I never thought about it til now. What's the process on taking the shift knob off? And will I be able to use the stock knob once i cut an inch or so off?

1996 Sunfire, 2.2L, 18" Equus/General Exclaim UHP
Alpine CDE-9845

Saturday, November 13, 2010 11:20 AM
On my 05, the knob has a little clip on the back thats kinda recessed holding it.
Saturday, November 13, 2010 11:31 AM
yep, lil C clip on the side towards the radio, pull it out then the knob will come off. Yes, you can still use the stock shift knob, i kept mine after cutting about 1.5 inches off or so

Saturday, November 13, 2010 2:33 PM
there's a yellow piece of plastic that is the actual engaging mechanism inside the tube that the knob sits on. it comes up higher than the metal tube. make sure whatever you cut off of the shifter you leave that plastic the same amount higher above the metal rod that it is stock. if you don't the button on your shifter won't engage.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 5:37 PM
David Diaz wrote:Plus the 3 spd auto is a lot stronger then the 5speed, waiting to see the sorry clutch is slipping posts, and sorry got a new clutch in posts from the rest.

I realize something of this sort has already been posted, but i put my first clutch in my car at 240,000km. Or so i've been told the car never had a clutch before, bought it at 135,000km. So giving the benefit of the doubt i put 105,000km on that clutch (at least). Now, my clutch had slipped a tiny bit but barely, so little i didn't notice until i put a new clutch in. Now, my clutch didn't even wear out by that point, i had broken it. Broke two of the springs in it thus causing it to no longer grip. I've driven a 4 speed auto sunfire same year and motor as my car, lower mileage. The difference in throttle response, acceleration, just flat out get up and go is almost unbelievably different.

And from what i've been told, (please correct me if i'm wrong) the trannys in the 5 speed 98-02 2200sfi are a great, strong, transmission.

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Saturday, November 13, 2010 6:23 PM
The only reason the 3 spds last is because theyre bolted to an anemic engine that has less torque than most lug nuts.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 7:28 AM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:The only reason the 3 spds last is because theyre bolted to an anemic engine that has less torque than most lug nuts.

^tis hilariously true
Sunday, November 14, 2010 7:32 AM
Adam L wrote:(please correct me if i'm wrong) the trannys in the 5 speed 98-02 2200sfi are a great, strong, transmission.

j-bodies use different transmissions from 95-99 (isuzus) and 2000+ (getrags). Unless the 2200 was different...
Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:05 PM
D.Simoes wrote:
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:The only reason the 3 spds last is because theyre bolted to an anemic engine that has less torque than most lug nuts.

^tis hilariously true

I think my stock 2200 has somewhere in the 110 ft lbs region after 165,000 miles. My lug nuts have 115 ft lbs holding them on.

----

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:35 PM

winner! lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:51 PM
What do I get?!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:59 PM
another 2200!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 4:28 PM
This post reminds me of....

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:06 PM
Alex Richards wrote:This post reminds me of....

My cracked ribs thank you, good sir.
Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:12 PM
blucavvy wrote:another 2200!

4400 CCs of POWA!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:51 PM
RoboticPotPie wrote:

My cracked ribs thank you, good sir.

BAAAAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:26 PM

LMFAO the guy goes through like 50 gears
Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:05 PM
D.Simoes wrote:
Adam L wrote:(please correct me if i'm wrong) the trannys in the 5 speed 98-02 2200sfi are a great, strong, transmission.

j-bodies use different transmissions from 95-99 (isuzus) and 2000+ (getrags). Unless the 2200 was different...

Ok, i wasn't really sure if they changed the tranny in 98 when they switched to the 2200sfi or if they had waited until 2000.

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Monday, December 13, 2010 8:08 AM
so if u do that dont cut the yellow piece in the middle as low as the metal? was actually thinking of doing something like that but didnt wanna mess it up and not be able to get my key out of my car lol

13.1 @ 115
Monday, December 13, 2010 8:18 AM
DJ MIKE BARR wrote:so if u do that dont cut the yellow piece in the middle as low as the metal? was actually thinking of doing something like that but didnt wanna mess it up and not be able to get my key out of my car lol

You cut the same amount off each. If you cut an inch off the tube you cut and inch off the yellow piece.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:17 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:
DJ MIKE BARR wrote:so if u do that dont cut the yellow piece in the middle as low as the metal? was actually thinking of doing something like that but didnt wanna mess it up and not be able to get my key out of my car lol

You cut the same amount off each. If you cut an inch off the tube you cut and inch off the yellow piece.

qft

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search