The last picture of my car????? What to replace it with. - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The last picture of my car????? What to replace it with.
Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:44 PM
A picture my fiance's dad took, I thought it was pretty cool.

The Fit may be going away pretty soon. Driving a manual transmission car has lost it's appeal to me, I no longer care either way at all. We always take my car on trips, biking and stuff like that but when we drive out to Tennessee for example she can't drive stick so I would drive 12 hours straight both ways. That was the start of thinking about a new, an automatic so either of us can drive. Bother our cars are paid off her's is a 160K mile 100% trouble free 2003 Civic coupe. When we looked up the KBB trade in value of the Fit I was blown away how well it's held it's value, I bought it new a little over 3 years ago and the value has gone down $3,000 from when I bought it, thats insane! What puts it's over the edge.... how awesome the new VW's are. Yeah, Mr. Anti-VW himself is trying to decide between a 2011 4 Door 2.0T GTI, a 2011 4 Door TDI Golf, or a 2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen (used 2010 of any of the above is also an option).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, May 16, 2011 5:54 AM

Re: Possibly the last picture of my car....
Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:51 PM
Darkstars wrote:A picture my fiance's dad took, I thought it was pretty cool.

The Fit may be going away pretty soon. Driving a manual transmission car has lost it's appeal to me, I no longer care either way at all. We always take my car on trips, biking and stuff like that but when we drive out to Tennessee for example she can't drive stick so I would drive 12 hours straight both ways. That was the start of thinking about a new, an automatic so either of us can drive. Bother our cars are paid off her's is a 160K mile 100% trouble free 2003 Civic coupe. When we looked up the KBB trade in value of the Fit I was blown away how well it's held it's value, I bought it new a little over 3 years ago and the value has gone down $3,000 from when I bought it, thats insane! What puts it's over the edge.... how awesome the new VW's are. Yeah, Mr. Anti-VW himself is trying to decide between a 2011 4 Door 2.0T GTI, a 2011 4 Door TDI Golf, or a 2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen (used 2010 of any of the above is also an option).

i like the new GTI's for sure. would you both be upgrading or keeping hers and just you upgrading? and good news is, atleast you know how to fix it! Also, assuming you get some form of a discount on VW for working there?

Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:57 PM
Teach her to drive a stick

I know what you mean though. I drive 70 miles round trip for work. I don't race my car, I don't ever track it, hell I don't even ever speed. I cruise and in the morning I like to drink my coffee. Every now and then I enjoy driving a stick but thats what the miata and the other lexus are for, lol. People always ask me why I have an auto. Because its easier to drive with my arm out the window that way! lmao.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:37 PM
Yeah I think a lot of us have grown out of the "OMG I can't believe you drive an automatic. I'll never drive one, it's no fun!" phase. When I look for a DD so I can keep the MR2 off the road, I'm looking almost exclusively for an auto so my girlfriend and I can both drive it and just relax and drive. It is nice to put it in "D" and just relax.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Sunday, May 15, 2011 9:12 PM
We discussed getting her the new car or me the new car, the decision was it made more sense to get rid of the car only one of could drive and has a lot of resale/trade in value. We would be keeping her car, she likes it, it's in great condition everything works... the damn thing doesn't even go through light bulbs lol. So hers will stay and they a few years down the line when were gonna have a kid we'll get her a new bigger car (Tiguan, CR-V, Element, ect, somethign along those lines)

Oddly enough I want the TDI SportWagen cause it's big practical and great on gas, she wants us to get the GTI because it's a good on gas sporty 4 door, so we very well may compromise on the TDI Golf which also happens to be the least expensive. But the GTI has 1.9% for 60, the TDI's are always excluded from special offers. I haven't looked into employee pricing yet.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 10:10 PM
Well I can understand the manual trans.I wanted a manual for my new ride(but) there were none to be found in my trim level anywhere.So I was like ok automatic it will be.And being my truck got new in 87 is manual and my cav as well.And quiet frankly love the automatic bc I drive a tractor trlr for a job and shifting can get old after a long day I assure you.Good luck on ur decision.Btw I got a 11 civic lx(s) polished metal,blk inter.It is in my post under almost 24 yrs later few pages back.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 10:31 PM
I LOVE the TDI sportwagons, I've been seeing more around and they are really growing on me. I still love my car being manual, but I think it's because I drive my g/f's car a lot too (auto g6 gt) so if we are going on longer trips or anything where we both may be driving we will take her car. Isn't it nice to have a car that actually holds its value? I could trade mine in for close to what I paid for it right now, 7-8 year old imprezas are still going for 7k-8k in good shape. Keep us updated on the search for sure.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 11:39 PM
the golfs are nice and would be my choice, but my dad just got a tdi jetta sedan and all he talks about now is getting 45+ mpg on his diesel. whatever you get, im sure youll enjoy it

Monday, May 16, 2011 4:01 AM
nice pic and good luck on the new car upgrade with whatever you decide

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, May 16, 2011 4:42 AM
Monday, May 16, 2011 5:10 AM
Darkstars wrote: What puts it's over the edge.... how awesome the new VW's are. Yeah, Mr. Anti-VW himself is trying to decide between a 2011 4 Door 2.0T GTI, a 2011 4 Door TDI Golf, or a 2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen (used 2010 of any of the above is also an option).

Whats next are going to finally admit your gay?

All in good fun Ryan.

Monday, May 16, 2011 5:16 AM
^ LOL!

Anti-VW gone VW!

Monday, May 16, 2011 5:53 AM
What can I say, I give credit where credit is due, their current cars are leaps and bounds better than they used to be.

I'm really torn about 2.0t TSI engine w/ DSG 6-speed vs 2.0t TDI engine w/ DSG 6-Speed. The Gti is sportier, faster, it's more fun, it's nicer, plus we do APR chips in house so I would definetly chip it with an intake and at the very least a downpipe (the TSI responses extremely well to the flash with intake and exhaust, they haul ass and it also ups the gas mileage when your light on the throttle). The 2.0t TDI will get me (according to the EPA) 8-9 mpg more on diesel then the TSI would on premium, which happens to be roughly $.50-$.70 a gallon more expensive than diesel. Diesel is also harder to come across, you have to plan around where you can get it which is less than ideal. Golf is cheaper but GTI has financing deals. Both have optional sunroof and nav which I'd get, both come without leather standard which I don't want.

Maybe I'll take one of each home for a couple days.

Monday, May 16, 2011 7:40 AM
I'm interested in further input on the GTI if you take one home, so please follow up.

aka what do you know about GTI's? LOL!

Monday, May 16, 2011 8:34 AM
What are you wanting to know? I'm gonna take em home and get the wife's input

Monday, May 16, 2011 8:56 AM
off subject a little, but your wife is hott.

on subject, I would go TDI... The spark plug wires and spark plugs are cheaper

Monday, May 16, 2011 9:29 AM
Nah, I know how annoying it is when people ask that and recall a convo regarding such!

On a serious note, just a quick review of handling would be nice along with throttle response, hell I could go drive one myself too.

Monday, May 16, 2011 9:33 AM
you know i was looking at VWs recently and was not impressed

i was really pushing toward a TDI, but the jerkiness of the diesel trans really bugged me, seems like a problem they would have addressed by now

as for the GTI 4 door golf, i just don't think you will get in one and think "wow, i have enough room in this!"

i only say this because i was thinking of getting one instead of the mini and wanted obviously more space, and the GTI just didn't provide enough

you know the ins and outs of these cars but i figured i would just give you my opinion on how i felt when i drove both cars

best of luck with your decision

Monday, May 16, 2011 9:55 AM
I personally don't notice driving a stick shift so its never bothered me, but auto is convenient that for sure.

A bunch of guys I work with have bought Diesel VW's for a spare car to save when they travel, I have certainly considered adding one to the stable. My buddy got rid of his heavily modified 350z and bought a brand new 08 R32 a couple years ago and he doesn't have one bad thing to say about it, gets amazing gas milage and its pretty comfy IMO.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:18 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:Nah, I know how annoying it is when people ask that and recall a convo regarding such!

On a serious note, just a quick review of handling would be nice along with throttle response, hell I could go drive one myself too.

The first part sounded serious yeah but when a person says "oh you work for VW... what do you know about a 04 Jetta" that pisses me off, I know a ton what do you want.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:20 AM
freelancer1988 wrote:off subject a little, but your wife is hott.

on subject, I would go TDI... The spark plug wires and spark plugs are cheaper

thanks, and neither one has wires

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:37 AM
My vote is for the 4-door GTI. I usually prefer the 2 doors, but something about the new 4 door MK6 gets me.... I saw a navy blue one yesterday and it totally swayed me, because candy white has always been my favorite VW color. Can't wait to see which one you pick!

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:12 AM
do either of the new ones have the oh @!#$ handles?

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:08 PM
Were almost possitive it will be a GTI in either that color blue or the dark metallic grey. It'll be those headlights, the dual HID's with AFS, along with sunroof and navigation car. Basically fully loaded minus leather.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:14 PM
Quote:

i like those rims over the stock ones

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search