New Vette to be turbocharged? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Vette to be turbocharged?
Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:45 PM
I do and dont agree with the smaller displacement, but totally agree with a turbo on them! They are aiming toward a smaller, higher revving motor. Cant wait to see this happen!

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2011/05/next-corvette-to-target-euro-supercar-fans-with-small-high-revving-turbo-v8/

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/25/next-chevy-corvette-to-offer-small-displacement-turbo-v8/

Re: New Vette to be turbocharged?
Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:06 PM
Disagree with lower displacement all you want, Ferrari has been making great numbers with small-displacement V8's for a VERY long time. It works. Smaller motor, lighter motor, high revs to compensate which I like anyway. I don't see everyone's need for the largest displacement number they can possible have if a 3.5-4.0L 10-12K revving turbo V8 is available.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:16 PM
I just don't wanna see it in the Corvette, same goes for a V6. It was one thing that ruined the new Camaro for me, everyone and there brother has them now..

Edit* Nvm, Now that I see its gunna be an option, very cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:19 PM

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:23 PM
they should make a small displacement turbo screamer alongside the burbling V8 and have the turbo car be a lot faster.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:25 PM
talk along time ago was a smaller more powerful V8 , think displacement was supposed to be in the 5.5l area

turbos sound like a great idea though

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:35 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Disagree with lower displacement all you want, Ferrari has been making great numbers with small-displacement V8's for a VERY long time. It works. Smaller motor, lighter motor, high revs to compensate which I like anyway. I don't see everyone's need for the largest displacement number they can possible have if a 3.5-4.0L 10-12K revving turbo V8 is available.

"Since its launch in 1953, Corvette has been governed by the philosophy, “there’s no replacement for displacement.”

that is why i disagree with it, its part of their trademark/heritage/history. Its like saying, well lets just do a v6 and turbo it and call it a vette... not the same.

But agreed, it being an option is a VERY nice option to have. I know id rather have the larger motor then put a turbo on it, but still the option of a small engine turbo high rpm sounds good too.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:43 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Disagree with lower displacement all you want, Ferrari has been making great numbers with small-displacement V8's for a VERY long time. It works. Smaller motor, lighter motor, high revs to compensate which I like anyway. I don't see everyone's need for the largest displacement number they can possible have if a 3.5-4.0L 10-12K revving turbo V8 is available.

i agree with you for once. wow never thought i would say that. bigger is not always best. (except dick size) but regardless i like the fact that you can still get the big engine but i know i would opt for the turbo. cant wait to see the numbers it will put down
Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:37 PM
As long as it has a V8, it wont lose its heritage. A Vette should always and only have a V8

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:29 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

"Since its launch in 1953, Corvette has been governed by the philosophy, “there’s no replacement for displacement.”

that is why i disagree with it, its part of their trademark/heritage/history. Its like saying, well lets just do a v6 and turbo it and call it a vette... not the same.

But agreed, it being an option is a VERY nice option to have. I know id rather have the larger motor then put a turbo on it, but still the option of a small engine turbo high rpm sounds good too.

you do realize thats not true right ???

53-54 had inline blue flame 6cyl motors , and 55 used 265 and 283's as well as the inline 6

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:30 PM
Sounds like bloggers using sensational reporting to get clicks on their site and increase ad fee.
C7 is being rumored to be using a 5.5L like in C6-R in ALMS, which is why it is being tested there. So far they are not doing as well (competitively speaking) as when they had the 7.0L in the previous GT class. GM was testing with a 32V OHV, we'll find out if that makes it into production. Turbo... when the current "ZR1" was being developed, they were using Turbo, but all failed and burned on their track, needless to say it was changed to a supercharged set-up. That left a nasty taste on their mouth, but maybe minds have changed and they may reinstate the turbo vette program again. I'll ask our district GM rep and see what he says. But to me that blog is mostly hopes and dreams mixed with past rumors in hopes to get a; "made-ya-look."

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:35 PM
at least its just an option. would hate to see it as standard

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:58 PM
Blah blah blah heritage this, X car with this type of motor is wrong. Why do Americans care so much? If Honda turned around tomorrow and said "The new Civic is rear wheel drive. Bet you didn't notice." not one person would say "Well @!#$ that. Civics are front wheel drive ONLY. I'm going to sell my Civic and mail a box of my own @!#$ to Honda right now.". Realistically, if you want to see the sports car as we know it survive, it has to become more efficient.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:59 PM
Tony T Crams wrote:Blah blah blah heritage this, X car with this type of motor is wrong. Why do Americans care so much? If Honda turned around tomorrow and said "The new Civic is rear wheel drive. Bet you didn't notice." not one person would say "Well @!#$ that. Civics are front wheel drive ONLY. I'm going to sell my Civic and mail a box of my own @!#$ to Honda right now.". Realistically, if you want to see the sports car as we know it survive, it has to become more efficient.

so the tokyo drift mustang that had an nissan motor in it was right? hell no. unique? maybe, but right? hell @!#$ ing no.

look at the dodge charger, look back and tell me when they made a 4 door charger, or a charger that even looked like that at all... think that might have something to do with sales numbers.

so yes, X car with x motor is wrong. a honda civic is not a corvette. A corvette is more of a car than any honda civic will ever be in terms of stock and brand new. you are right, nobody would care if a honda civic went rwd, or even awd........ NOT! MANY would care... they can be VERY FAST FWD cars so imagine them RWD or AWD.. But if a vette went FWD.... end of corvette.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:54 AM

Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:07 AM
Tony T Crams wrote:Blah blah blah heritage this, X car with this type of motor is wrong. Why do Americans care so much? If Honda turned around tomorrow and said "The new Civic is rear wheel drive. Bet you didn't notice." not one person would say "Well @!#$ that. Civics are front wheel drive ONLY. I'm going to sell my Civic and mail a box of my own @!#$ to Honda right now.". Realistically, if you want to see the sports car as we know it survive, it has to become more efficient.

That's because the Civic doesn't have heritage. It started as econobox and it still is. Plus the civic has been around 25 years? The Vette has over 60 years of lineage. It's been a staple of American muscle for a long time. It's the epitome of cool.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:27 AM
I just can't believe someone tried to compare a Corvette to a Civic, lol
Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:53 AM
I can't believe people think the Vette would lose it's heritage by having a V6 when the Corvette started as a 6 cylinder sports car. Technically it lost it's heritage when it went V8, so really it would be going back to it's roots with a high performance V6.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:57 AM
Power and speed is power and speed. If it goes faster and is more efficient, who cares? Plus as stated it is an option so that is win.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:01 PM
Moving forward > heritage.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:35 PM
Why try to fix something that isn't broken? There is nothing, in my opinion, wrong with the current Vette. There isn't another American car that can touch it.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:22 PM
It was also heritage that the corvette had a carburetor, distributer and got less than 15 mpg...so why do you accept those changes? I think most of you are complaining for the sake of complaining. Leave heritage where it belongs...in the past.

I will say one thing about all of this: if it is the case that Chevy does go to such a small engine (which I highly doubt anytime soon), they had better rethink the Corvette's cornering abilities, or else Porsche is going to rape them.

I have no signiture
Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:25 PM
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:Why try to fix something that isn't broken? There is nothing, in my opinion, wrong with the current Vette. There isn't another American car that can touch it.

this guy and i don't normally get along, but this statement right here is full of win.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:54 PM
Jookycola wrote:I can't believe people think the Vette would lose it's heritage by having a V6 when the Corvette started as a 6 cylinder sports car. Technically it lost it's heritage when it went V8, so really it would be going back to it's roots with a high performance V6.

heritage doesnt mean the first thing it was....it means the thing it was most well known for as well as known for the longest. both of which are big, burly v8s and thats why people will always associate them with vettes

Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:13 PM
"The engine is likely to be extremely high-revving, perhaps climbing to a near-Formula One-class 10,000 RPMs, suggested one source involved in the project."

lol!

Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:27 PM
(tabs) wrote:heritage doesnt mean the first thing it was....it means the thing it was most well known for as well as known for the longest. both of which are big, burly v8s and thats why people will always associate them with vettes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:07 PM

Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:02 PM
You guys realize that the talk is a lower displacement, higher revving, turbocharged motor....THAT IS STILL A V8 AND WILL ONLY BE AN OPTION, if this pipe dream ever even actually comes to reality. I can't believe people are arguing that redneck "well it's gotta have a big fat V8" crap when the motor in question is still a V8, but with a turbo, higher revs, and lighter weight.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search