wiring up two amps - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
wiring up two amps
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 7:21 PM
ok i have 2 amps

one for highs and one for subs
how do i wire them up from the battery... right now i have 2 wires srtaight from the battery.. is there a better way to do this and why would it be better?

Re: wiring up two amps
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 7:33 PM
get a fused distrobution block. run one wire to the trunk, then split it(fused) into two wires.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 7:59 PM
would it be feasible to fin 4g to the trunk then split it to 2 8g lines for the amps?

i have a fuses distroblock laying around here. it accepts 4 guage on one side and 2 8 guage on the other

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 8:15 PM
SomeGuy wrote:would it be feasible to fin 4g to the trunk then split it to 2 8g lines for the amps?

i have a fuses distroblock laying around here. it accepts 4 guage on one side and 2 8 guage on the other

as long as it's sufficient for the power you are running. yes. that is fine and proper.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 8:16 PM
^^oh yea, be sure to fuse it properly.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 8:20 PM
wysiwyg wrote:
as long as it's sufficient for the power you are running. yes. that is fine and proper.

one amp is 1200 watts, the other is 400(rms)

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 8:23 PM
you really need to get 4 awg to that sub amp...the small amp would be fine on 8 awg though.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 8:36 PM
i have two amps, one is like 400 max and the other is 600 max

right now i have 4 ga power to the 600 and 8 ga to the 400, two seperate lines..

is there any advantage to doing it with a distrbution block, or is it ok the way i have it?

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 8:38 PM
the only advantage would be less wiring..easier to mess with and install. makes for a cleaner installation.

nothing is wrong with how it is now though.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 4:36 PM
so i could get a single 4g fused line for the sub amp, and then use the distro block for the other amp, and then have a fused 8g wire for accesories then.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 5:02 PM
^ makes sense, right?

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 6:31 PM
you can do it however you want. each install requires different wiring methods. I just try to keep the wires to a minimum. that's what distrobution blocks are for. keep everything clean and more simplified.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 7:17 PM
ah well i guess ill just leave it well alone the way it is

Thursday, February 10, 2005 11:32 AM
I'm using 0 gauge to distro blocks. I have 3 amps going in (2 for my subs, 1 for my front/back speakers) and it works fine. I also use a circuit breaker instead of a fuse at the battery.

Thursday, February 10, 2005 4:29 PM
yea my + battery post is getting kinda clustered...

i have to wire up my fogs and neons to it also... is there any way to simplify the wires coming off of the battery post if they are not all going to the same place?

Thursday, February 10, 2005 6:13 PM
have one big wire and use a distro block somewhere. they make them for smaller gauge wire.

Thursday, February 10, 2005 8:09 PM
I have 4 guage running to my trunk to the block then 8 guage going to both of my amps from the block. But where should i put the cap? Before my 1000 watt amp but after the distro block or before the blcok all together?

Monday, February 14, 2005 1:41 PM
do they make a huge distro block? like with 4 or 5 outs? and 1 in?

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:05 PM
Yes they make ones with 4 outs and 1 in.

Go Here: http://www.cardomain.com/item/STRCBR44A
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:37 PM
hey thanks, im lookin for a smaller, not so heavy duty one for accessorices.. not so much my amps

but thanks, i just need a 1in 3out for my trunk thanks tho.. ill search around now that i know wut im lookin for..

and another question, do i have to fuse the line going into the distro block? and even if i dont would it be bad if i did?

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:39 PM
It wouldn't be a bad idea to fuse it depending on your load. I say you can never be too safe especially if you have a high load.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:47 PM
well im running a 600 watt and a 300 watt amp, then gonna use the other out for some neon bars to accent the trunk.. then gonna use a bigger distro block to wire up, interior nerons, fogs, etc...

so i guess ill keep the 1/0ga fused line to my 600 watt amp and just use that for the distro and take out the other wire for the other amp, then run smaller ga to the two amps.. like 4ga? 8ga? the 0/1 ga is kinda overkill.. then just run the neons off another outlet..

sweet, wish i would have done it like this the first time

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:51 PM
Sounds good. right now i have 1/0 gauge running from my battery into my trunk at a fused distro which splits into 2 4 gauge, for the 2 600Watt amps i'm going to get for 2 JL 10W3v2s and my other speakers. I'm probably not going to fuse the line in my unless i add more.
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:57 PM
yea 4ga is fine for 600 watts, ill jsut do that, thanks man

where did u get ur distro blocks?

and if they dont make a 1-3 can i just get 2 distro blocks and split a 4ga line from the block into 2 8ga lines? that would be fine for the 300 watt amp and the neons..

cuz with a 1-3 i can jjust use a ga thingy where it lowers the size or wutever, dunno wut its called but ive seen em before..

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 6:32 PM
you HAVE to fuse the wire at the battery...no matter what it's running to, amp or block. and you also need to use a fused block because you'll be going to smaller wire, which requires a smaller fuse.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search