Kickpannels! - Page 2 - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Kickpannels!
Thursday, March 03, 2005 12:49 PM
oh mine is an auto...

but it just looks like its not gonna fit. how much clearance do you have? is it annoying?

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)

Thursday, March 03, 2005 1:18 PM
hey Lanman31337 can you tell me how you make a mold like that for those speakers in your doors? did u use spray foam or what??? im new to fiberglassing and would love to know how to do stuff like this.

sorry for thread jacking

!!!jbody Customs!!! yo hit me up if you need anything!
streetfire2006
Thursday, March 03, 2005 1:26 PM
OH nah it doesn't get annoying at all...

Thursday, March 03, 2005 4:07 PM
LOL.. Mine's an auto also.. It's been awhile since I drove a manual J, but I think it'd be a PITA aswell. Well, maybe not... How big are your feet? I wear a size 13, so that may have something to do with it..

"If life throws you a curve, pop the clutch and drift it!"
Thursday, March 03, 2005 5:21 PM
jesus christ. thats some big feet man. i'm a size 7, but i buy em 6 1/2 cause i dont like my sneakers to get creaces. they look older like that. probably cause i'm a little guy though(5'8")

Friday, March 04, 2005 9:30 AM
^
|
|
|
midget.

lol j/k

if your worried about space, get a componet set that is designed for off axis listening so you can mount them almost flat, they wont require a big angle like speakers designed for on axis.

some 6.5's will fit in the q-forms, but not all, ive seen companies call speakers 6.5" that have been anywhere from 6"-7.5" so know exactly what your getting before you buy, also for midbass, most midbass are built for free air applications, put them in an enclosure that is to small and you will lose the majority of midbass so becareful befre you any of you runs out to seal up your kickpanels.

if anyone is intrested i wrote a tutorial on building fiberglass kickpods a few years ago, just email me and i'll send it out to you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, March 04, 2005 11:16 AM
Quote:

hey Lanman31337 can you tell me how you make a mold like that for those speakers in your doors? did u use spray foam or what??? im new to fiberglassing and would love to know how to do stuff like this.

This is what I did. I cut out that triangular piece on the sunfire with a dremel. I made 2 mdf rings to fit the speakers, and i used some dowel rods and glued the rods to the ring, then that whole thing to the panel. Then I got some t-shirt fabric that I got at the crafts store and started to glue it up on the one side. Then I streeeeeeeetched it out nice and tight and finished gluing it all around with hot glue. This gave me my basic form. I mixed up some fiberglass resin, put on a layer, and let it dry. I put a second layer on top of that and let it dry. Then I sanded it down to make it look pretty. Finally I put the triangle piece back on the door panel and glued it in with liquid nail.

Beat it like it owes you money
Friday, March 04, 2005 5:58 PM
ok man thnx for your help im gonna attempt something similiar to this this weekend. thnx for the help.

!!!jbody Customs!!! yo hit me up if you need anything!
streetfire2006
Friday, March 04, 2005 7:34 PM
sndsgood wrote:

if your worried about space, get a componet set that is designed for off axis listening so you can mount them almost flat, they wont require a big angle like speakers designed for on axis.

How do you know if your speakers are built for off axis listening. I have the JL XR 653 3-way setup.

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)
Saturday, March 05, 2005 5:59 AM
if the store you got them from is knowledgable you could ask them. but for allot of places i'd say your best bet is contacting the manufacturer, or asking around before you purchase, i dont think jl are built for off axis though. might want to give www.carsound.com a look, you can go on there and ask manville smith yourself, he's pretty much the head guy at JL audio

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search