Easy auto short shifter - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Easy auto short shifter
Wednesday, March 03, 2010 4:47 PM
I was going through the old posts on shifter knobs and seen a short shifter that tight, and low.

So today I went out and chopped off about 3-4 inches off my 3 spd auto shifter and made a really short shifter, the skull knob is heavy so its easy to throw the gears.
I used a side grinder and some water to chop the shifter,
The water will keep the metal getting so hot that the plastic inside will melt.
Carefully cut around and sparying at the same time, saved the plastic cut off.
And the results are:

http//www.umods.org/drift.html
umods@live.com/ddiaz@umods.org

Re: Easy auto short shifter
Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:22 PM
David Diaz wrote:today I went out and chopped off about 3-4 inches off my 3 spd auto shifter and made a really short shifter, the skull knob is heavy so its easy to throw the gears.

This is gonna be good...

Subscribed!

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:31 PM
Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:43 PM
......Not a short shifter........Stubby shift knob

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:59 PM
Ok so the term was off a little but the style was the same sorry for the mix but still the same look,

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 6:42 PM
Looks like it goes perfectly with the rest of the car.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 7:06 PM
Scott (Silver Z) wrote:Looks like it goes perfectly with the rest of the car.

WIN

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 7:22 PM
Scott (Silver Z) wrote:Looks like it goes perfectly with the rest of the car.

haha
Wednesday, March 03, 2010 7:34 PM
waiting for the "blew my 3 speed banging the gears with my short throw!!!" post

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 9:07 PM
why not just drive a manual?

CarDomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3828276
Wednesday, March 03, 2010 9:15 PM
Fashow69 wrote:why not just drive a manual?

lol, i was waiting for someone to say this.

to the op, looks good other than the skull shift knob, i did the same thing to mine and i love the way it looks although it does'nt sit so low. and for the love of god please don't say ur "throwing gears" in an auto.....

Thursday, March 04, 2010 5:53 PM
Yeah, the idea is good, but it was executed all wrong. I shortened the shifters in both my Sunfires, but they weren't anywhere near that low and I didn't have a skull shift knob. Also, I did it to make the big dildo shifter/shift knob look nicer, I didn't do it so I could "throw gears" .

Thursday, March 04, 2010 6:06 PM
I really don't get the point of shortening an auto and putting a shift boot on it.

If you want a manual buy a manual.

Thursday, March 04, 2010 9:30 PM
Uhhh thats the stock shift boot, and if I wanted to spend the cash swapping to a 5 speed then I would, but honestly why waste the time for such a small improvment, right now I can shift into 2 and 1 if I need to get the RPMS up and just slap it (sorry shift) back into Drive for normal driving, all with out having to worry about a clutch.

Plus the 3 spd auto is a lot stronger then the 5speed, waiting to see the sorry clutch is slipping posts, and sorry got a new clutch in posts from the rest.

If I boost my ride then this set-up will be a lot safer and easier to handle, maybe a little slower but o' well I'm not racing my J-Body around town or taking it to the track.

I have a 85 Cougar that I'm going to drop a 5.0 into, or maybe swap out my 3.8 for the factory Turbo 4 cyl (the same as the Mustang SVO/Supercoupe) thats the bad boy that I might swap from a auto to a T-5. Now that swap would be worth it.

Friday, March 05, 2010 4:19 AM
Scott (Silver Z) wrote:I really don't get the point of shortening an auto and putting a shift boot on it.

point of shortening and putting a boot on it is so you dont have this big stick sticking up in the middle of the car. its not to pretend you have a manual. its for asthetics. well it is unless your wanting to you know "bang the gears".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, March 05, 2010 7:10 AM
David Diaz wrote:Plus the 3 spd auto is a lot stronger then the 5speed, waiting to see the sorry clutch is slipping posts, and sorry got a new clutch in posts from the rest.

I put well over 100,000 miles on my old '00 Z all on the stock clutch and never a single problem with it. Still shifted like a champ after the motor crapped out.

sndsgood wrote:
Scott (Silver Z) wrote:I really don't get the point of shortening an auto and putting a shift boot on it.

point of shortening and putting a boot on it is so you dont have this big stick sticking up in the middle of the car. its not to pretend you have a manual. its for asthetics. well it is unless your wanting to you know "bang the gears".

For asthetics.... Really?

So, thats done to look good?

Friday, March 05, 2010 11:53 AM
without a skull shift knob yes. have you ever seen the auto shift knobs between 03-05 for the cavs with the little button on the side? they're hideous and tall.

i pulled a leather wrapped one out of a sunfire and put it on after i shortened the shifter and stuck a cheap boot on it and it looks/feels a thousand times better.

Friday, March 05, 2010 4:12 PM
Scott (Silver Z) wrote:For asthetics.... Really?

So, thats done to look good?

No, that ^ was done to look ridiculous and get the owner laughed at.

It is done by (most) people for asthetics, not "throwing gears".

This was done to look good (Sunfire GT leather wrapped shift knob, shifter shortened 2" [not 6"!], manual shift boot and manual upper center console)...

Obviously that ^ looks better than this:

Friday, March 05, 2010 5:51 PM
I'll agree that being slightly shorter does look better. Its the shift boot that I really don't get or agree with.

But, its your car and I don't have to look at it.

I'll stick with having an actual 5 speed.

Friday, March 05, 2010 7:49 PM
Scott (Silver Z) wrote:I'll agree that being slightly shorter does look better. Its the shift boot that I really don't get or agree with.

I'll stick with having an actual 5 speed.

What's your problem with the shift boot? Again, it's for a cleaner look. The plain old shifter and shift knob sticking up looks really cheesy in my opinion. Anyone with half a brain will realize right away it's an automatic. That look wasn't to try and fool anyone. Obviously there's no clutch pedal and the e-brake is never engaged when I'm parked. I'm not some poser that goes around putting my e-brake up when I park and "throwing gears" when I drive pretending like I have a manual.

Some of us have never been taught how to drive a manual because no one around us ever had a manual transmission car. Furthermore, some people want to just get in and go and not have to mess with shifting gears and such. My dad drives a semi all day long and the last thing he wants to do is be shifting gears on his way to and from work too. In my opinion the only cars that are really worth having a manual transmission in are higher end sports car.

Friday, March 05, 2010 9:26 PM
Scott (Silver Z) wrote:

Like I said its your car and I don't have to understand why you did something as long as you like it. So, quit trying to explain it to me. I think it's stupid, you like it end of story.

No one around me had a 5 speed either. I bought one and learned as I feel either high end sports car or Cavalier it makes driving more involved and thus more fun.

Friday, March 05, 2010 9:58 PM
when you care about how your 2.2l auto looks like theirs something wrong with you...... just like putting a body kit on a civic(or any car)

i am gone from this forum
Saturday, March 06, 2010 7:58 AM
Scott (Silver Z) wrote:Like I said its your car and I don't have to understand why you did something as long as you like it. So, quit trying to explain it to me. I think it's stupid, you like it end of story.

No one around me had a 5 speed either. I bought one and learned as I feel either high end sports car or Cavalier it makes driving more involved and thus more fun.

Wow! You taught yourself to drive a manual! Congratu-@!#$-lations!

minimotos95 wrote:when you care about how your 2.2l auto looks like theirs something wrong with you...... just like putting a body kit on a civic(or any car)

I don't even know how to respond to this because it's so incoherent .

Saturday, March 06, 2010 8:09 AM
minimotos95 wrote:when you care about how your 2.2l auto looks like theirs something wrong with you...... just like putting a body kit on a civic(or any car)

Just because you have a $350 beater with spray paint and "ghetto" seat covers doesn't mean the rest of us don't give a damn how our cars look.
Saturday, March 06, 2010 8:32 AM
J TO ENVY wrote:
Some of us have never been taught how to drive a manual because no one around us ever had a manual transmission car.

J TO ENVY wrote:
Wow! You taught yourself to drive a manual! Congratu-@!#$-lations!

Ok, first you say that you don't have a manual because no one taught you how to drive one then you mock me for being in the same situation and teaching myself how to drive one.

Make up your mind.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search